The Community Engagement Specialist Role
Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Community Engagement Specialist is responsible for building and strengthening our relationships with the neighborhoods of greater Boston andnon-profit organizations in the Boston area by welcoming these communities to Boston’swaterfront through enriching programming and direct outreach. This position will highlight theindividual and community benefits of the Harbor, and support planning efforts to reinforce thatBoston Harbor is for everyone.This full-time, one year term position with benefits is currently working remotely due to thepandemic, and usually based in downtown Boston. This position requires frequent outdoorwork in the summer months requiring travel by ferry as well as work on beaches, trails, andother outdoor environments in all weather conditions and include work on weekends andevenings.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with the Director of Programs to develop a three year community engagement strategy for engaging neighborhoods and municipalities in participating in programmingand planning around the Harbor.
- Deepen existing relationships in Boston neighborhoods and develop new partnershipswith local community groups and nonprofits.
- Assist in developing an annual calendar of vibrant programs geared towards diverse audiences along Boston’s waterfront, including Moakley Park, and within Boston HarborIslands National and State Park (The Park);
- Coordinate staff and partners in community outreach initiatives, including special free access programs, Library Pass Program and Community Cruises
- Develop new opportunities, activities, and pop-up programming to reach new communities in Boston and connect them to the Harbor and Waterfront;
- Support youth engagement programs including the summer Harbor Discovery Camp, youth workforce development, and Island Pass programming;
- Coordinate outreach and programming for seasonal program interns; Evaluate the effectiveness of ongoing outreach efforts and develop strategies forimproving service to low income residents
- Assist in community and partnership outreach engagement for the 25th anniversary of the Boston Harbor Islands National and State Park in 2021
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in community organizing, or public engagement
- Enthusiasm, optimism, flexibility, and creativity
- Experience managing staff, volunteers, and youth
- Very strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience in educational programming and youth development a plus
- Ability to work in a cooperative, high energy team environment in a collaborative manner to catalyze positive organizational change
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Experience with project management
- Familiarity with Boston and harbor community neighborhoods and non-profits preferred
- Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Cantonese, or Mandarin preferred
- Bachelor's or Associate's degree preferred but not required. Other credentials, traditional and nontraditional, and experience considered and appreciated.
- Must commit to following all state mandated COVID-19 safety guidelines.
The ideal candidate:
- Is highly organized and is able to prioritize multiple tasks and establish and meet deadlines
- Continually builds technical and professional knowledge associated with job objectives
- Is a proactive problem solver
- Strong attention to detail
- Enjoys working with people inside and outside the organization
- Believes in the mission of Boston Harbor Now