The Volunteer Engagement Director is responsible for contributing to the execution of strategies in support of the overall business plan and strategic vision of the company and the Eastern Bank Charitable Foundation and leading efforts to sustain a strong culture of employee volunteer engagement within Eastern Bank and Eastern Insurance Group.
The role of Volunteer Engagement Director is both internally and externally facing and works closely with the Foundation team, the Heart of Eastern Volunteer Network, other Employee Networks at Eastern, business regional teams and other employees at all levels; as well as with not-for-profit organizations throughout Eastern Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire and Rhode Island that seek volunteers to assist with/augment their operations.
This role focuses on creating and executing strategies to engage employees in volunteering and cultivating and maintaining relationships with community partners; and reporting their hours of volunteer time. Our 1800+ Eastern colleagues regularly volunteer over 50,000 hours of their time, all of which is important to the company, and the corporate-sponsored volunteer activities managed by this role are an important component.
Finally, this role is a senior role within the Foundation and as such is involved in many other aspects of our work. In particular, this position is expected to be a strong contributor to our deliberations on Impact Grants, Exceptional Grants, and Community Donations, offering their understanding of community needs and NFP organizations situated to advance progress in our strategic areas and reviewing the semi-annual progress reports on these grants.
1. Create and execute on Eastern’s Volunteer Strategy to recruit and engage employees as volunteers in our communities. Communicate across multiple channels with employees to engage employees in this important aspect of their employment. Build strong relationships with employees at all levels of the organization. Coordinate volunteer recognition/appreciation activities and volunteer satisfaction surveys, as appropriate.
2. Build/maintain strong strategic relationships with community partner organizations seeking volunteers, with special emphasis on those who can offer volunteer opportunities that allow employees to use the skills they have honed at Eastern.
3. Coordinate with representatives across the enterprise to create monthly Board of Directors Report on Community Outreach Report.
4. Coordinate with Work collaboratively with fellow team members to support communications, community outreach and philanthropy efforts.
5. Assist in drafting/reviewing press releases and other communication related to volunteer engagement and other public relations related to the Foundation.
6. Assist in the development of the annual budgets and business plan, and monthly reporting.
7. Maintain technical and professional proficiency by continuous study of industry trends, and professional literature affecting the volunteerism and foundations.
8. Maintain vendor management relationship with Your Cause, or its successor, related to Matching Gifts and volunteer event management.
Position requires demonstrated strength in the following competencies:
In addition to all the above, this role requires strong knowledge of community needs and organizations across our service areas and, in particular, our gateway cities.
Although not required, candidates who are bilingual (English and Spanish) will be preferred to those who are not.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment. The role requires strong skills in MS Word, Excel & Powerpoint.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This position is exempt from the FLSA. Normal work hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, however, this role regularly requires long hours and some weekend work. Remote work is permitted with approval once fully up to speed on the role.
Travel is generally local to the Bank’s footprint which is Eastern MA, Southern NH, and RI. Candidates must have their own transportation to be able to drive between sites.
Required Education and Experience:
A BS/BA degree from an accredited college/university, with a degree in a related field.
A minimum of 7 years of experience, with at least five years of demonstrated community service. Experience at Eastern is preferred, but not required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the incumbent for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.