Director of Development
The Director will shape and oversee MassBudget’s development plans for foundations, organizations, and majorand small individual donors. The Director will focus on helping secure significant, new funding from foundations and individuals. The Director will also manage our annual budget.
The Director will report directly to the President and supervise our Development and Systems Manager who helps with writing grant applications and reports. The Director will, with the President, manage the Board's Development and Budget Committees. The Director will also coordinate with our Office Manager and Bookkeeper, among others.
The Director’s development role will include:
The Director will also help to manage our organizational budget. This role will include:
- Developing and leading the implementation of annual development plans which include identifying and securing of significant, new foundation, individual, and organizational support.
- Supervising MassBudget’s Development and Systems Manager including reviewing and editing grant proposals and reports.
- In close coordination with the President and the Development and Systems Manager, overseeing donor stewardship and prospecting including funder communications and solicitations, preparing for donor meetings, developing the annual appeal, and other donor engagement strategies.
- Organizing fundraising and stewardship events.
- Working with the Office Manager andBookkeeper to maintain MassBudget’s donor database (Network for Good) and overseeing the organization’s grant tracking systems.
- Working with the Board's Development Committee and full Board to support their fundraising efforts.
- Serving on MassBudget’s leadership team to help guide the organization's strategic direction (along with the President, Vice President, Director of Communications, and Research Director).
Skills and Experience
- Building, projecting, and revising the organizational budget, in coordination with the President.
- Performing, at least quarterly, reconciliations of internal record-keeping systems, QuickBooks, and bank accounts, in coordination with MassBudget’s financial consultant.
- Working with the Board's Treasurer, Budget Committee, and the full Board to ensure they are informed and knowledgeable about the organizational budget.
- Commitment to antiracism and to MassBudget’s mission of building racial and economic equity.
- Minimum five years of development experience, including direct solicitation of 5- to 6-figure gifts from foundations and other grant-making organizations.
- Proven experience creating and executing a development strategy. Very strong written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of philanthropic organizations at the state and/or national level.
- Detail-oriented collaborator who has proven experience managing deadlines effectively.
- Ability to manage up and support the President and Board in their development responsibilities.
- Ability to produce in-person, hybrid, or fully remote donor cultivation events.
- Experience with development software and familiarity with nonprofit financial accounting systems.
- Experience working closely and effectively with a wide range of people.
- Experience managing personnel through mentorship and teamwork.
- Experience managing budgets, grant tracking, and managing restricted funds.
Salary and Benefits
The position is full time. Salary range is $80,000 to $100,000 based on qualifications and experience. MassBudget provides generous benefits including health care, dental, vacation, paid sick and family leave, and a 401k plan. MassBudget is working remotely due to COVID-19 and will return to the office in some capacity when it is safe to do so.
How to Apply
Please email resume andcover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, Applicant for Director of Development” in the subject line of the email. This position is open until filled.